Wednesday, March 9, 2016

This Dr. Mario Amiibo

Key Stats:

  • Number of times I've played Dr. Mario the video game: 0
  • Number of times I've played Dr. Mario in Smash Bros: Something ending in '-illion'
  • Nickname: Dr. 'Miibo
  • Number of suppository jokes made since I bought this Dr. Mario Amiibo: Something ending in '-illion'
I initially was not going to buy any Amiibos. Then I got a few as a gift last year, and I've been out of money and shelf space ever since. When will I ever have another chance to own a Dr. Mario or Mr. Game and Watch or Diddy Kong toy? Probably never, and that's why I need all of the Amiibos!



I think originally Dr. Mario was just Mario as a doctor, but since he became his own character in the Super Smash Bros series, I like to think he's a parallel universe Mario. One where Mario led a slightly more privileged life and his parents could afford to send him to medical school instead of him landing a plumber apprenticeship. This Mario spends his time curing diseases in front of a video screen, while plumber Mario (or 'Mario Prime') slaves away in the sewers of Mushroom Kingdom. Maybe Nintendo is trying to say that a plumber is just as important as a doctor and we shouldn't judge people based on their profession because, at the end of the day, they are both productive and necessary members of society, or maybe I'm just reading too much into it. It's interesting to note that the only lifestyle consistency across Marios is his substance abuse: he loves pills as a doctor, and eats a disturbing amount of mushrooms as a plumber.

This guy came out as a Target exclusive, because collecting things shouldn't be easy in Nintendo's eyes. I got him the day he came out more on accident than necessity. But I'm glad I did! He's one of my favorite characters in Smash Bros, and nothing is cooler than just being yourself with 'Dr.' in front of your name.

So here's my overall rating of this Dr. Mario Amiibo:

Evil Clone-ism: 10/10 Megavitamins – He's not an inherently evil clone of a Nintendo character like Dark Pit, Dark Link, Dark Samus, Dark Meta Knight, Blood Falcon, etc. But it's much more fun to use a bit of imagination and think of an evil doctor version of Mario, isn't it? This Dr. Mario writes you a prescription for PAIN.

Mustache-ness: 10/10 Megavitamins – This thing is Ron Swanson levels of awesome.

Kick My Ass-itude: 10/10 Megavitamins – Amiibos get pretty broken in Smash Bros right around level 40. They take less damage, deal more knockback, and are somehow able to power shield every jab. Ridiculous.

Don’t Touch My Stuffitude: 5/10 Megavitamins – Amiibos are pretty awesome to look at, and pretty sturdy in general. While I would prefer you never touch any of my things ever, I might make an exception here.

Overall Rating: 10/10 Megavitamins – I was stoked to see Dr. Mario return to Smash Bros after having been absent for Brawl. This is definitely one of my favorite Amiibos. And it's really fun to say, "Doct-or 'Miiiboooo!" in a Mario voice when I play with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment